International Nechama Lifshitz Vocal Competition
About the competition
The International Vocal Competition will take place on November 9-11 in 2021 in Kaunas and Laureates concert on November 14 in Vilnius, Lithuania. The competition is open to 17-37 years old vocalists from around the world.
Opera singer, music teacher, professor
Chairman of the jury
Soloist at the Israeli Opera, professor at the Tel Aviv Academy of Music
Additional jury member will be added
- Meeting at ORT SHOLOM ALEICHEM gymnasium
- Meeting in the Lithuanian Jewish community
- Meeting at the Lithuanian Museum of Jewish History
- Excursion “Jewish Vilnius or Jewish Kaunas”
- Visiting the Paneriai Memorial
- Concerts of the competition participants in Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipėda, Panevėžys and Šiauliai JC
- 1st place: Diploma and cash prize
- 2nd place: Diploma and cash prize
- 3rd place: Diploma and cash prize
- 4 – 6 places: Diplomas and prizes
- Special prize of the Kaunas City Symphony Orchestra: invitation to perform with Kaunas City Symphony Orchestra in the next concert season
- The prize for the best performance of a Yiddish song in the 2nd round is the prize of Roza Litay, the daughter of Nechama Lifshitz
- Prize for the best concertmaster of the competition. The result in the nomination will be considered regardless of the soloist’s result.
Diplomas and prizes are awarded after 3 rounds during the closing ceremony. The Commission reserves the right not to give the nomination.
Evaluation of participants
Participants performance is evaluated on a fifteen-point system, with 5 points for each piece. In assessing the scores, the Jury is guided by the following criteria:
- Matching the content of musical works (text and music);
- Musical, vocal literacy, purity, clarity and professionalism;
- A creative approach to performance;
- Stage charm;
- Depth of performance and artistic level.
The decisions of the Jury shall be taken by secret ballot, recorded in the relevant protocols, which shall be signed by the chairman of the Jury.
Contestants send recordings of two works up to 10 min. duration:
- a song in Yiddish or Hebrew;
- a song from a country represented by a contestant.
Registration fee – 40 EUR.
Not more than 15 contestants will be selected for the second round.
Contestants will be able to find the songs on the competition website and download them.
Together with the application contestants must send piano of the songs, except those published on the Competition website.
Semi-final with piano
Contestants perform three tracks for up to 15 min. duration:
- the song in Yiddish, choosing from a repertoire of songs performed by Nechama Lifshitz.
- a work that uses Jewish musical elements or the text of the work is related to a Jewish theme, or at least one of the authors of the work is a Jewish author.. You can choose work from Repertoire list or from recommended authors: Benjaminas Gorbulskis, Moris Ravel, Gustaw Mahler, Anton Rubinstein, Felix Mendelssohn, George Gershwin, Isaak Dunayevsky, Anatolijus Šenderovas, H. Eisler.
- a romantic piece of free choice.
For the final not more than 6 contestants will be selected.
Final with orchestra
Contestants perform three tracks for up to 25 min. duration.
1. First work – by selecting from the list for final in first song repertoire:
- Anatolijus Šenderovas „The Song of the Shulamite“
- Rivka Boyarska, Ovsej Driza. Babi Yar / Babij Jar
- David Miretsky. Katerina – moloditsa.
- Jack Yellen, Lev Pollak. My jiddishe mamme
- Am Ysroel Khay – The people of Israel are alive.
- Yury Shaporin. Vocalise, Nigun (Michoels Lied) Vers.1.
- Henech Kon, Yoysef Kotliar. Shpil Zhe Mir a Lidele in Yidish.
2. Second work – a work by Jewish composer with an orchestra or a work in which Jewish musical elements are used or the text of the work is related to a Jewish theme.
Recommended works from this list:
- M.Ravel. CADDISH
- M.Ravel. Chanson hebraique
- M.Ravel. L’Engime Eternelle
- D.Shostakovich. Babi Yar from Symphony No. 13
- D.Shostakovich. The Abandoned Father (From Jewish Folk Poetry)
- D.Shostakovich. The Young Girl’s Song (From Jewish Folk Poetry)
- D.Shostakovich. The Song of Misery (From Jewish Folk Poetry)
- Musorgsky. Le Roi Saul D-Moll.
Will be added additionally.
You can select works from the works on the Competition website.
3. Third work of free choice (possible Opera aria or romance). Focus on the the works with orchestra.
NOTE: Works cannot be repeated at different stages. The program of the III round needs to be coordinated with the organizers of the Competition.
Semi-final and final will be filmed and broadcast live online. Full HD video clips will be placed on media provided by contestants.
Registration fees and details:
Name: Public Institution “Pro partners”, code 303015455; Address: J. Jasinskio str. 15, LT-01111 Vilnius, Lithuania; Bank: AB SEB Bankas, Gedimino str.12, LT-01103 Vilnius; Swift: CBVILT2X; IBAN: LT067044060007895693; Purpose of payment: registration fee
Chairman of the Jury
Coordinator of partners and sponsors
You can submit video or audio recordings of your performance until 01.06.2021
The selected artists will be announced by 01.08.2021